About Us

My photo
Jenna and Emilie are two Canadian girls who, after experiencing four amazing years of university together in Victoria, BC, decided to keep the good times rolling by moving together to South Korea. We are now living in a city called Suncheon in the southern province of Jeollanamdo. Both of us teach English at public elementary schools to the cutest kids in the world, and we live in an apartment complex called 'Shedae' with about a 100 other foreigners. We hope this blog will keep us connected to friends and family at home, allowing everyone to follow the whirlwind adventures we are sure to have while living in the far east! Lots of Love, Emilie and Jenna

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Adventures of a Korean Car Accident:

On Monday I got into a small car accident with 2 co-workers on our way home from school. While waiting for a red light, some guy who was paying more attention to his cell phone/TV than to actually driving rear-ended us.

I assumed we'd have to talk to the police and maybe get a few x-rays as a precaution, but no. I was told it was "standard Korean process" for every person who's in a car accident to spend at least one night in the hospital. Really? All for a small fender-bender? Ok. So, me and my 2 co-workers headed to the hospital where we got not only X-rays, but also CT scans, an IV, multiple injections, and monitored with an EKG. A little over-kill if you ask me.


We have been warned that Korea is the land of unnecessary bureaucracy and huge amounts of useless paperwork. Indeed, I discovered this first hand when trying up the loose ends before being released. I guess you could say the frustration paid off, however, because I was informed that I would  receive 800,000Kwon (about $750) from the insurance company. Sweet!!

This picture is a little ridiculous but I wanted to capture the craziness of the whole experience. So here I am, neck-brace and all, completely and 100% fine but being kept in the hospital to be extra, extra, extra safe.

Bye for now, and remember, safety first!!

No comments:

Post a Comment